Shop Local for the Holidays at the GreenMarket
By Paula Detwiller
Why not make the Delray GreenMarket your “mall-ternative” as you do your holiday gift-shopping this year? Strolling through our open-air market on a Saturday morning is much more fun than fighting crowds at the mall. We’ve got a great selection of unique gifts for your loved ones. And best of all, your dollars will stay local, where they help support the community.
Here’s Why It Matters
You may have seen the ads on TV emphasizing the benefits of “shopping small.” Many of our GreenMarket vendors operate small shops or local farming businesses. Studies show that for every $100 you spend at a locally owned independent business, $68 of that money comes right back to your community. When you shop at a national chain store, only $43 comes back.
Think about it: local businesses pay taxes that support local schools, police, firefighters, and other services. They pay wages that support local families. They buy supplies and services from other local businesses. And they do great things for the community, such as sponsoring teams, underwriting events, and contributing to local charities.
Need a Suggestion?
Check out these great holiday gifts available at the GreenMarket:
- A healthy, glorious orchid plant from The Orchid Doctor
- Lovely handmade soap from Serenity Flows paired with a natural loofah from GroSmart
- A hanging planter or bird feeder carved from a coconut shell from Sly
- An organic tea sampler from Good Vibes Teas
- Exotic salt and other gourmet spices from World Flavors Spices & Teas
- Tweedle Organic Dog & Cat Treats for the pet-lover on your list
- Aged balsamic vinegar and flavored olive oil from Bistro Blends
Remember, the Delray GreenMarket is located on SE 4th Street just off Atlantic Avenue, where you can continue to “buy local” in the city’s many unique shops and eateries. Don’t miss the 100-foot Christmas tree at Old School Square!