“Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate!” -Paul Lynde
Grinder. Hoagie. Hero. Sub. So many names for that staple mom packed in our lunchboxes. And, to celebrate National Sandwich Month this August, here are a few little known fun about the classic, All-American sandwich.
- Did you know that Americans eat more than 300 million sandwiches everyday? That’s pretty crazy considering there are only slightly more than 300 million Americans total!
- The average American eats about 193 sandwiches per year.
- The most popular sandwich in America is the standard ham sandwich, followed by the BLT.
- The average American eats about 1,500 PB&J sandwiches by the time they hit adulthood.
- The sandwich is named after John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, who started a craze for eating beef between two slices of toast.
In honor of this historical and delicious meal, the vendors at the Summer GreenMarket have all the ingredients to jazz up your sandwich for the perfect back to school and work lunch:
1. Carbs. The first step in creating a delicious sandwich begins with finding the perfect bread. Every Saturday, ‘Loic Autret,’ a French Bakery, can provide you various types of breads, whether it’s a croissant or a French baguette.
2. Meat: Once you have the base of your sandwich, it’s time to select the meat. ‘Farriss Farm’ provides quality meats that have no added hormones and no hard chemicals. You have the option to choose from 100% grass-fed beef, grass-fed American lamb, pastured chicken, pastured heritage pork, and more.
3. Say Cheese! Here comes the cheese! ‘Fratello Sole’ has a huge selection of imported and American artisan cheese, so there is no doubt that you will finding something you’ll like and maybe even discover something new!
4. Top it Off. The options and creativity are endless. ‘Jerry’s Here’ provides all types of produce that will provide delicious additions to your custom sandwich, including lettuce, spinach, tomato, avocado, red pepper, and more.
Now add some mustard or mayonnaise if you please, and you have made yourself one delicious sandwich, all with ingredients from the Summer GreenMarket! And don’t forget something sweet for dessert from ‘Amy’s Little Chunks of Love’ and a serving of fruit from ‘Wonders of Nature’ to complete the perfect lunch.