Magic Returns to the Delray GreenMarket Season Opening!
On October 29th, the 5th Annual Witches of Delray Charity Ride will commence and conclude at the Opening Day of the Delray GreenMarket. Along with the witches magic comes a slew of Halloween fun! These good witches ride through Delray spreading charity and Halloween magic yearly, raising funds for the Achievement Center for Children and Families. We had a chance to talk with Andie DeVoe, the Alpha Witch of the group, who shared a bit more about their annual flight.
How did the ‘Witches of Delray’ come about?
- Five years ago Lori Klinger, who was one of the original members of the Witches of South Walton in Florida’s panhandle, moved to Delray Beach, and she thought it would be a perfect spot to start a new coven. She organized our first ride in 2011 and it has really taken flight since then. Lori has since moved to Texas but not before passing the “broomstick” to me to lead the 2013 ride and organize future events as “Alpha Witch.”
How has this event grown and morphed since its inception?
- Five years ago we had ten riders, and last year we partnered with the GreenMarket, and took to the streets with 80! (This year we are expecting 120!) Originally, the ride was the only event, but now we include a Witches Brew Happy Hour fundraiser at Tim Finnegan’s Irish Pub the week before the ride (on Friday, October 21st from 4:00 PM- 8:30 PM). A lot of the witches come in costume and love the fact that they can have a more formal outfit for the fundraiser, and more casual “sporty” ensemble for the ride. Everyone is welcome to attend, not just witches registering for the ride.
With all the great organizations in Delray, how and why did you decide for it to benefit the Achievement Center?
- It was a tough decision and we wanted the money we raised to be used locally. The Achievement Center for Children and Families has been helping Delray’s most vulnerable children and families for over 40 years. They provide programs designed to meet a child’s academic, social, emotional and physical needs. They offer toddler, preschool, after-school, teen, adult and family programs. With such a well-rounded approach, we believed it really was the perfect partnership.
In your opinion, what makes the perfect witch costume?
- Some witches dress in all black while others like a splash of color and a little bling and everyone’s costume is a chance to really showcase their individual personalities. From the top of your hat to the tips of your pointy little shoes…!
Favorite Halloween themed movie?
- Hands down Hocus Pocus…I love the Sanderson sisters!
When you are not riding your broom where can we find you?
- I am a massage therapist specializing in Cranio Sacral Therapy and Lymphatic Drainage Therapy and I have a practice here in Delray Beach. My work is my passion but when I’m not working I try to spend as much time at the beach as possible. In the summers I volunteer as a Sea Turtle Monitor in Highland Beach. The ocean holds a spell over me that’s for sure. I’m not one of those witches that melts when they get wet…in fact I thrive on it!
If you could conjure up a spell what would it be?
- I would recruit witches in all communities! I would love to see bicycle covens pop up all over the globe. It’s a fun and creative way to get active and indulge your inner witch! And as always, I would conjure up a safe and prosperous flight for the ‘Witches of Delray.
Be sure to come out to the opening of the Delray GreenMarket on October 29th from 9 am – 2pm. ‘The Witches of Delray will land on the Great Lawn at 9:45 AM for a friendly competition naming the witch with the “Best Broom”, “Best Costume”, and “Best Cackle”. Want to join in the witchin’ hour? Click here to find out more and get your broom ready. The GreenMarket Opening is encouraging Halloween costumes for all, and kids are invited to trick-or-treat around the market which will be open from 9 AM- 2PM. The Annual Halloween Parade will commence at 1 PM. For more information on the Kiwani’s Halloween Parade please click here. Join us for a spook-tacular event this year at the Delray GreenMarket Season Opening!