Hot Tea for You and Me!
There’s something very comforting about cradling a hot cup of tea in your hands on a chilly January day. And considering that tea is the world’s most commonly consumed beverage after water, it’s no wonder that January is national Hot Tea Month.
Luckily, there is a wide selection of loose leaf organic teas available at the Delray GreenMarket—from earthy Earl Grey Pekoe to sweet Chocolate Mint Rooibos. Our tea vendor, Good Vibe Teas, even offers free tastings and is happy to answer questions. And with the additional varieties available from World Flavors Spices and Teas, you’re sure to find the right brew to please your palate!
Five Healthy Reasons to Drink Tea
Black, green, oolong, and white teas—all derived from the plant Camellia sinensis—contain potent antioxidants called polyphenols that are linked to a host of health benefits, including:
- Lower risk of cancer. Studies show that green tea consumption can reduce the risk of developing gastric, esophageal, skin, breast, lung, and ovarian cancers.
- Help prevent heart disease and stroke. Research suggests that drinking black tea can improve the health of your blood vessels, reducing both blood pressure and arterial stiffness. One study found that tea drinkers had a 70 percent lower risk of fatal heart attack than non-tea drinkers!
- Boosted immune system. Drinking tea can strengthen your body’s natural defenses against infection, according to a recent study.
- Higher metabolism, to help you burn calories faster, and ultimately lose weight.
- Stronger bones. Scientific research increasingly suggests that regular tea consumption protects against bone loss and osteoporosis.
Tea has no calories or fat (unless you add cream and sugar, of course), and has less caffeine than coffee. So why not celebrate Hot Tea Month by picking up some fresh organic tea at the Delray GreenMarket?