Strawberry Trivia: 10 Facts About Strawberries to Celebrate Strawberry Season!
Strawberries are a delicious and nutritious fruit that grows abundantly in Central Florida, mostly within a 20 mile radius of Plant City from December through March. When you are feasting on these delectable little berries this season think about these fun facts!
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Americans eat an average of 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries every year.
- Unlike some other fruits, strawberries don’t continue to ripen after being picked.
- Strawberries should be eaten at room temperature, they are sweeter than cold strawberries.
- Strawberries are loaded in vitamin C. Eight strawberries will provide 140 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C.
- Strawberries also contain high levels of nitrate. This has been shown to increase blood and oxygen flow to the muscles. Research suggests that people who load up on strawberries before exercising have greater endurance and burn more calories.
- Current research suggests that eating just 8 strawberries a day can improve heart health, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, reduce the risk of cancers, and improve cognitive function.
- Strawberries are members of the rose family. The plants smell as sweet as they taste!
- Strawberries are the only fruits to have their seeds on the outside, and the average berry has 200 seeds, go ahead and count them!
- Over-ripe strawberries don’t need to be thrown away. When strawberries are over-ripe, they are perfect for smoothies!
- Strawberries can be pickled to and used in cocktails, salads and desserts!
Pick up the freshest strawberries every Saturday at the Delray Beach GreenMarket, while strawberries are in-season. Our berries come straight from the farm to you!